Kettering Health Network will use Roche PCR, or Epic order SARS-CoV-2 PCR Screening laboratory test, for limited patient populations to enhance patient and staff safety for retesting COVID-19-positive patients or transfer to SNF/LTAC/IPR/prisons/etc.
- The Epic order is called SARS-CoV-2 PCR Screening.
- The Epic order for the test will have a “hard stop” to require verification the test is only ordered for patients who meet the indications listed.
- For easy identification, all coronavirus specimen tests will have “COVID” as a synonym in EPIC.
- Specimens will be collected with nasopharyngeal swabs.
- Staff permitted to perform nasopharyngeal swabs include physicians, providers, nurses, and medical assistants.
- Staff will perform hand hygiene and don proper PPE, including gown, goggles, isolation mask, and gloves.
- Staff will use two patient identifiers and explain the process to the patient before beginning the test following the package steps from Roche.
- The sterile Miraclean swab must be used for collection. Lab will supply the correct swab.
- Staff will swab the nasopharyngeal site, then place the swab into the tube, provided by lab.
- Once the specimen is inserted into the tube, break off the remaining end of the swab outside the tube, and dispose as biohazard waste.
- Place beaker label if available on the tube.
- Seal the tube with the specimen enclosed in a biohazard bag.
- Complete Epic e-collection of the specimen.
- For down-time or if e-collection unavailable, label the tube with the patient sticker, badge number, date, and time.
- Doff PPE and perform hand hygiene.
- Carry the specimen to the lab. Do not send any COVID specimens in the tube system.
Please note: Specimen collection swabs are subject to change due to supply availability.