Holiday parties are awesome. Here’s how to have fun without missing your health goals.
- Fill up on one or two foods that are healthful – veggies, fresh fruits, lean protein, etc. That way you can add small portions of one or two of your very favorite holiday treats without feeling utterly deprived.
- Go for a dip! Try fresh vegetables with low-fat dip. Nonfat Greek yogurt makes an excellent savory base.
- When facing or preparing a meat and cheese platter, choose low-fat cheese, lean protein, and whole wheat bread or crackers.
- Get out on the dance floor and shake things up. You’ll have tons of fun and burn calories at the same time.
Holiday Foods to Skip (or Moderate):
Foods that are calorie-dense and low in nutrients eat in moderation. Pick one or two favorites and skip the rest.
- Holiday cakes like fruit cake, spice cake, or good old chocolate cake.
- Holiday cookies including frosted cookies are especially high in calories.
- Decadent drinks like cocoa or eggnog.
- Holiday pies like pumpkin and pecan pie.
- Holiday candies like caramels, toffee, and candy canes deck tons of holiday tables every year.
- Other very rich desserts.