With six weeks full of tempting treats, parties, and chances to skip healthy habits, it’s easy to get off track in the holiday season. Community Health and Outreach has prepared these tips to help you make smart choices this holiday season.
- Plan ahead. Set goals. Even if you didn’t join the Not a Single Pound challenge, be mindful of your meals and snacks. Create meal plans in advance and make sure you have plenty of healthy snacks on hand.
- Start your day right. Have a breakfast high in fiber and rich in protein. This will help you avoid hunger spikes later in the morning and set you up to make better choices throughout the day.
- Practice portion control. Use smaller plates and fill them with lean proteins, fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.
- Enlist a buddy. A friend can keep you accountable during the holidays. Take a daily walk with your friend and share recipes and other tips.
- Bake and Share. If you have the urge to bake holiday goodies, immediately fill containers and give away the treats. Also consider trading baking for preparing food gifts like soup mixes, flavored vinegars, and herb blends.
- Volunteer to cook a healthy dish. Prepare and share healthy dishes at potlucks and parties. Look for ways to lower sugar, fat, or salt in traditional dishes. Consider fruit kabobs or hummus and vegetables.
- Don’t drink your calories. Stick with club soda with a twist of lemon or lime, water flavored with fruit, or coffee and tea. The calories from alcohol, soft drinks, and other drinks really add up. Consider egg nog as a dessert, indulge in moderation.
Community Health and Outreach wishes you a happy and healthy holidays!