Thank you to all employees who took the Diabetes Risk Quiz Challenge. The challenge is now closed, and the final winner will be announced soon. If you would still like to learn your risk for diabetes, click here for the risk quiz.
According to the Center for Disease Control, more than 30 million people in the United States are living with diabetes, and 7.2 million of them are undiagnosed.
There are many factors that determine your risk for diabetes. Some are out of your control, like being 45 years of age or older, having a parent or sibling with type 2 diabetes, or your ethnicity.
However, there are two key risk factors that you can impact: weight and physical activity. Research shows that you can lower your risk for type 2 diabetes by 58 percent by:
- losing seven percent of your body weight if you are overweight (e.g., losing 15 pounds if you weigh 200 pounds)
- Being physically active for at least 150 minutes per week
This November, Kettering Health Network Diabetes and Nutrition Center is challenging all employees to take the diabetes risk quiz and learn their score. By completing this challenge, you’ll be entered into a random drawing for one of five Fitbits.
Winners are being selected every week. Congratulations to the winners below:
- Samantha Jacobs: Patient Access, Sycamore Medical Center
- Morgan Beck: Med/Surg, Southview Medical Center
- Jennifer Fields: Cardiac Product Line, Kettering Medical Center
- Michael Berry: Information Security and Privacy, Prestige
Click here to take the quiz and find out if you’re at risk for diabetes.