Please see the updated steps for care of deceased patients in which respiratory infection* is the cause of death:
- Inform the funeral home the cause of death was due to “respiratory infection”.
- Obtain two body bags
- Continue to use PPE as previously advised (surgical mask, gown, gloves, goggles)
- Perform post-mortem care
- Disinfect the decedent airways: using forceps, securely place rolled gauze or cotton balls in the nostril and mouth. Use a syringe to soak cotton with hydrogen peroxide.
- Cover the decedent face with a face towel dampened with hydrogen peroxide.
- Double bag the deceased body
- Disinfect outside of body bag and morgue cart with purple top Sani Wipes
- Maintain standard precautions (gloves only) during transport of body to morgue
- Standard precautions (gloves only) required during transfer of body from morgue to funeral home
- Once deceased body is picked up by funeral home, follow standard procedures for morgue cleaning with hospital approved disinfectant
*Steps should be implemented for all cases of infectious respiratory diseases: tuberculosis, influenza A/B, COVID-19, etc.
Adapted from the CDC Interim Guidance for Collection and Submission of Postmortem Specimens from Deceased Persons with Known or Under Investigation (PUI) for COVID-19, March 2020
Recommendations of the Ohio Funeral Directors Association to Facilitate the Transfer of Deceased Patients from Hospital Facilities, March 31, 2020